On the lst July 1841, John McNaughton opened the doors of his new school, the â€˜Established School at Wynbergâ€™ in Glebe Cottage. Newly arrived from Scotland, he found himself teaching in a single room with 65 pupils â€“ none of whom could read and write! In addition, he was sharing the cottage with the Lady Dâ€™Urban School of Industry for young ladies. In terms of the Government policy of the day, it was specifically laid down that there was to be no prejudice in terms of colour, creed or gender. It was also reported that the young Headmaster soon made a name for himself insisting on good grooming.
We are now in our 172nd year and it is pleasing to report that the school has come full circle. Apart from the fact that it has been a Boys Only school since 1853, the school has returned to its roots and once again represents the full spectrum of the community. Emphasis is still made on manners, pride in uniform and respect for all.
Today Wynberg is unashamedly a Boys School. We understand Boys and we believe in Boys. Through activities in the classroom, in the fiercely competitive matches on the sports fields, on the stages of music and dramatic productions or in the multiplicity of service opportunities, our mission remains the same â€“ to IGNITE boysâ€™ curiosity and passion, to SUPPORT their drive for excellence in all they pursue, to ENCOURAGE them in their journey to young adulthood and to CHALLENGE them to make a difference in every area of life in which they involve themselves.